Monday, September 16, 2013

Sweet Talk. With Peach Cupcakes.

If you know me, you'll already be familiar with my obsessive nature. If not, you'll get acquainted with it pretty quickly. I can go from "meh" to "oh-holy-crap-this-is-the-best-thing-ever!" faster than it took you to read that. It's a gift. So when I saw that Trader Joe's had these peaches in stock, I couldn't buy just one. That would have been rational. Nope, I needed two, on top of the CSA pickup I was already getting, and knowing we were going to be away for the weekend. Needless to say, when we got back I had almost overripe fruit and a fly problem. After two days of eating roughly half a dozen peaches for lunch, I knew it was time to bust out the big guns. Peach Cupcake Perfection. 


Mmmmmmm. Happiness. 

The recipe is actually one I modified, with the original calling for strawberries. I know several people who are allergic, and being the nice accommodating vegetarian I am, I know how much it sucks when someone makes a special treat you can't enjoy. (I'm also allergic to cashews. And people keep putting them in veggie burgers. Why?!) The original recipe is from Screen Doors and Sweet Tea (posted online here), and was included in the Food & Wine Best of the Best cookbook for that year. I got it as a gift, and it's pretty fantastic... I'm very tempted to get every year, but I'm fully aware I have a book problem, and I don't even make all the pinterest recipes I like... so yeah. That's on hold for a bit. 



On my favorite estate sale plate. With a bird, of course. 


This makes two dozen cupcakes, so they were divided and taken to work, where I have other people to help eat them. Not because I couldn't eat two dozen cupcakes, but because I really would eat two dozen of these cupcakes. And then I would explode, but it would be a very soft explosion, because of all the fluffy icing. And then my cats would eat me, and the circle of life would be complete. Wait, what? Never mind. 


The perfect bowl for cupcake icing. 


I don't like a lot of icing, even if it is as delicious as this is, so I always have a ton left over. I'm a big believer in proper proportions... the icing should not double the height of the cupcake. That's just creating a lot of unnecessary texture issues. So apologies if you like really pretty piped icing. I swirl it on with a cute little knife and then I eat it. Because that's what you're really supposed to do. Eat. The. Cupcake. The best part about leftover icing is finding random things to put it on. Personally, I use it as an excuse to buy a giant tub of animal crackers. And it's a good use for all the graham crackers that never found meaningful life fulfillment as s'mores.

1 comment:

  1. speaking from first hand experience this is the best icing I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete