Thursday, September 19, 2013

Take Me Out To The Ballgame (Kinda)

Last Saturday I went to my very first baseball game in Pittsburgh. I've lived here for over ten years now, so don't think it's been a lack of time. I simply dislike sports. (I know, I'm in a bad city for that) I went because the choir I sing with got to perform the National Anthem. The last time I was at a baseball game was when my children's choir sang before a Reds game, so I guess I'm on a twenty-year cycle or something. The grass was very cushy, and I really wanted to take my shoes off and just shove my toes in and have a good wiggle, but I'm an adult, and for some awful reason we feel the need to behave in public when there are cameras on. When they announced us they got our name wrong, but we rocked it anyway. As soon as I got in to the park proper I grabbed a giant pretzel and began my evening of being totally confused and at the same time paranoid that a ball was going to hit me in the head. If you know me, or if you ever were in gym class with me, you'll know this is not an irrational fear. I swear to god, my head is like a magnet. 

Run from the purse snatchers!
Luckily, nothing hit me, except an overwhelming wave of cute... Pierogi Race!! This was hysterical. I'd heard people talk about it, but seeing it in person brought on a super size giggle fit. Seriously, grinning from ear to ear.  Guys hit balls, blah blah, we won, blah blah, ....and then there were FIREWORKS!!!  I'm putting it down in writing here: When I die, please cremate me and find a way to get my ashes made into fireworks. Then set them off over the river. I'd prefer to be either a purple or blue one (or the ones that come down all curly), but I have no idea if human remains alter the color of fireworks, so I'll leave the final decision to the professionals. This was, without a doubt, the best fireworks show I have ever seen. The city looked beautiful (when you squint it almost looked like you were at Disney with the castle in the background, except you still had your soul). I'm just going to let the pictures talk now. 









Soooo pretty! I'd go back just for the fireworks. Or set up camp on the top of the parking garage in the cultural district and see what the view looks like from another perspective. So I saw beautiful things, didn't get hit in the head, and spent a beautiful night out in a beautiful city. I'll call that a good night.

3 comments:

  1. I questioned whether you truly appreciated the beauty that is the game of baseball and then I read "I'd prefer to be either a purple or blue one (or the ones that come down all curly)" and thought yeah, that's pretty much it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also apparently I have to prove that I'm not a robot to comment, which is ironic since if I were a robot the first thing that I'd tell you is that I'm not a robot, and it would be your own foolish fault for believing me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me the best part of going to a bucs game is the pierogi race. And it always confuses me when people not from pittsburgh have no idea what it is. Maybe I missed my calling.. why am I putting all this effort into my "life" when I should really just become a professional pierogi race runner!

    ReplyDelete